The NDC planned the Public Construction Project Lifecycle Performance Management System in 2016 to improve performance management of public construction projects and upgrade projects effectiveness, to allow resources to be effectively used.
To further advance the execution effectiveness of public construction, the Executive Yuan issued the Deliberation, Early Warning and Withdrawal Mechanism of the Public Construction Projects in December 2017, linking with the summative evaluation (appointed date evaluation) and operational evaluation of the Public Construction Project Lifecycle Performance Management System, making performance management more complete.
Through the Public Construction Project Lifecycle Performance Management System mechanism, projects are closely controlled from review to operational stages. The focal points of evaluation at each stage are:
- Deliberation stage: Integrating program execution early warning, performance review, and operational evaluation results, giving feedback to the project, enhancing project connection with Executive Yuan policy direction, increasing the completeness of project feasibility evaluation and general planning and enhancing project execution benefits to facilitate the implementation of the project after approval.
- Annual budget preliminary planning: Reviewing the actual execution capacity of the executing agency, combining with policy focuses, rationally allocating project annual budget requirements, closely connecting project work progress and budget resources to increase resources allocation efficiency.
- Execution early warning: With regard projects that are the focus of public opinion, are important for people’s livelihoods, that are seriously behind schedule, are in danger of not being completed on time or for which allocation of work arranged in advance is obviously imbalanced, an early warning mechanism helps the project get back on schedule and allow the public construction project to be implemented. Also, with regard to projects that are no longer suitable for implementation, it can be suggested that the project withdraw by following the instructions to free up budget resources and allow the implementation of other projects to continue.
- Performance review: After project completion, the agency compiles a performance review report based on execution effectiveness, reviewing project objectives, budget execution, KPI achievement situation and project expected benefits and evaluating resources use efficiency at every stage in project execution to link with follow up operational evaluation and increase operating performance.
- Operational performance evaluation: During the operational stage of the project, evaluating actual operating performance, reviewing the project financial performance achievement situation and providing suggestions for improvement. Giving operating performance feedback and submission to the Executive Yuan to review, carrying out a feasibility assessment and comprehensive planning to improve the project performance.
Also, through training of agency construction management talent and competence, building lifecycle information system, closely linking every stage of operations in the public construction lifecycle, project operational performance and benefits are increased and the quality of life of the people of Taiwan improved.